02 June 2008

Preserving the Harvest and Loving the Dream!


Every year I pretend that I am going to make strawberry jam and every year I wait for my Mom or my Aunt Vivian to come up and make it for me. Well, this year it was my turn, because there is no one here I can delegate the responsibility of making sure Paul has enough fresh frozen strawberry jam to make it through all the Sunday dinner rolls, Saturday morning crepes and freshly baked whole-wheat bread for the year until next strawberry season comes around. So Friday I dedicated myself to the "putting up" of fresh frozen strawberry jam. I guess it would be prettier if I could have put them in little glass jars with pretty little labels which I would have used my calligraphy pens to write "Strawberry Jam - 30 May 2008", but you just don't want frozen glass in your freezer being jostled around. So I've settled for plastic containers with just the date on them.

It's been 5 years since the last time I made my own jam. Can I tell you that it was wonderful. The satisfaction of knowing that you've relatively preserved fruits of the harvest is almost overwhelming...that may be a little bit of an overstatement. Let's see from "10 Things I Hate About You," I'm just whelmed.

I love and enjoy being a homemaker, a maker of homes! I know I'm not out saving lives or pretending to enjoy being in some rat race hoping that one day my "contribution" to society will be noticed. But I am doing what I love. The satisfaction of a clean home, a crisply ironed shirt, knowing my husband can come home to a peaceful homey haven knowing that there will be a hot delicious dinner on the table, it's all I've ever wanted. And the fact that no one is the boss of me except my own self is also nice :)

Preparing dinner - $1 hour
Laundry, Cleaning, Vacuuming and Washing the dishes - $4 hours
Going to Hawaii for 3 weeks this June while husband has in-job training in Chicago - Priceless!

2 comments:

Mike and Tia Fam said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE making freezer jam! I should have had you over to make it with me last summer! I made so much last year that I had to give the last 6 containers away when I moved. I love making jam more than I love eating jam! Ha ha, well I haven't even made jam yet this year and I am already feeling 'whelmed' with excitment :)

Cara said...

Caroline,
You are amazing! This is Cara Norris--I happened upon your blog link on the Connew's blog. I also applied for an account for your family website--I hope that is okay! Anyway, I LOVE this post--it reminds me of what I love most as well. I finally graduated from school this April and now I can really take care of my home! My ever changing home until we settle...but a home nonetheless! I also have a blog, and I will send you an invite if you would like! Just send me an e-mail norrisfamily6@gmail.com
-Cara